An Award-Winning Appointment Setting Campaign for Anritsu
Anritsu is a leader in electronic instruments used by the wireless industry. The instruments are used to test and troubleshoot cellular tower transmission lines and base station transmitters. However, BTS Master Base Station Analyzer market penetration lagged other Anritsu products. And, Anritsu had been unable to penetrate the executive suite at top cell phone companies because competitors were strongly entrenched.
We had to convince decision makers our instrument was so much faster, more accurate and more compact that they would buy it the next time they needed a base station analyzer. But, before we could do this, we had to get their undivided attention with a multi touch marketing door-opener campaign.
The First Touch:
The life-size box showed off how compact the new instrument is in comparison to competitor’s large and heavy products. Inside were a letter, brochure and response card. We invited prospects to come to a custom microsite where they could sign up for an in-person demo. Additionally, demo participants would receive an iPod Shuffle preloaded with BTS Master technical material. All components were personalized. Not only with the recipient’s name but also with technical benefits which differ from carrier to carrier.
As a second touch point, we executed an email to the same lists with the same offer including personalization. Finally, in the third touch point, we followed up with outbound telemarketing setting up appointments with responders. And, to increase conversion from prospects who had not responded we contacted them.
We had two goals for this multi touch marketing campaign:
- Firstly, meet or exceed a projected initial response rate of 2-5% (people who received the mail or email and went to the landing page).
- Secondly, of these, prequalify 10% to meet the internal criteria of “sales ready leads”—i.e., a prospect who is ready to sign a purchase order if the product meets their needs. (This goal equates to 0.2%-0.5% of the initial mail/email quantity.)
- 7% of total target contacts visited the landing page.
- 4% of total targets filled out the contact form.
- Of these, 49% were qualified as “sales ready leads” during the follow-up call to set up their in-person demo appointment.
- Through additional telemarketing, a total of 8% of ALL contacts were qualified as “sales ready leads”— a result 1,000%-4,000% better than the original projection.
- Over $3,000,000 of potential sales have been added to the pipeline and more are anticipated as the leads were being followed up.
Best of all, we won an International ECHOTM Award for this campaign.
The ECHO Awards honor the world’s best marketing campaigns, that have raised the bar in terms of strategy, creativity and results.
Laurie B. Beasley is co-founder and president of Beasley Direct and Online Marketing, Inc. Beasley Direct is a Silicon Valley direct marketing agency that has managed search, email, online, and demand generation campaigns for nearly 100 companies. Ms. Beasley serves as President of the Direct Marketing Association of Northern California. Laurie manages the eMarketing Roundtable for the BMA Northern California. She is also an instructor of online marketing at UC Berkeley Extension and teaches for the Online Marketing Institute. Ms. Beasley frequently speaks on online marketing and demand generation topics for marketing organizations, including the DMA, BMA, AMA, Tech Council, and the Online Marketing Summit.
Beasley Direct and Online Marketing, Inc. is known for bringing the latest marketing strategies to online and direct marketing. The company provides services in email marketing, search engine optimization, social media, pay-per-click (PPC) advertising, website design, media planning, direct mail marketing, lead generation and nurture campaigns, and database management. Beasley Direct and Online Marketing, Inc. helps clients in both B2B and B2C marketing. Beasley Direct and Online Marketing is privately held and headquartered in the Silicon Valley suburb, Morgan Hill, California. For more information, go to www.BeasleyDirect.com or call Laurie Beasley, President, at 408-782-0046 x21 or email [email protected].