Why is Landing Page Testing and Analysis for Performance Needed?
Electronic media is easy to track. However, it’s unforgiveable not to know how your marketing efforts are performing and how hard your dollars are working. This is especially true when it comes to landing page testing and analysis for performance.
As with any medium, you need to track not only how many people clicked to the page but how many registered. Then you need to track how many of those turned into leads and ultimately sales. A low initial response may still pay for itself with high conversions for a high ticket product or service. If you use outbound telemarketing to support your campaigns, that should be factored in as well. Conversions from these calls are typically higher when the prospect remembers seeing the campaign and/or the telesales rep can refer them to it while they’re on the phone.
What to include in Landing Page Testing
Here are some of the landing page components worth testing (see example below):
- First, the Offer (always our top testing recommendation)
- Headline (will benefit win over pain point?)
- Primary graphics (user imagery vs your offer vs your product, perhaps)
- Form fields (both how many and what information is requested)
- Call to action (including the design and text in your button)
- Long vs short copy (short usually wins, but not always)
- Testimonials (whether to use, placement, one quote vs another)
- Guarantees, third party validation through reviews or seals of approval
- Social sharing icons (these can generate additional leads, but they can also cause web visitors to click away from your landing page before registering)
A/B and Multivariate Testing
You can test landing page elements one at a time with A/B testing (50% of your readers see the “A” page, 50% see the “B” page), or use multivariate testing to swap out elements according to an algorithm until the best performing landing page emerges. Then, because audiences and market conditions are constantly changing, continue to test over time.
Ask us for a FREE critique of the landing pages for your current campaign. We’ll review them against landing page testing best practices, congratulate you for the things you’re doing right, and give you tips if appropriate to make your landing pages work even harder. To get started, fill out our contact form.