May 12, 2016
MORGAN HILL, CA
The The Direct Marketing Association Statistical Fact Book was recently released by the DMA (Direct Marketing Association). The DMA asked Laurie Beasley, President and Founder, and John Thyfault, VP Search and Social Media, of Beasley Direct and Online Marketing, Inc., to write the intro to the search marketing section.
Below are some topline insights into what’s happening in general with search marketing in the US:
- After a slow Q4 2014 and Q1 2015, overall paid search metrics rebounded with steady growth in Q3 2015 and Q4 2015. However, search is an ever-changing landscape in which what worked yesterday may be obsolete today. Google made major changes in some of its key ranking factors in the search algorithm during 2015, the most important being the inclusion of artificial intelligence (AI) driven machine learning into its analysis of the query stream with “RankBrain”.
- The second development is the major shift in the search results layout Google launched in February 2016. The ads on the right side column are gone. Up to four paid ads now appear across the top of the page with another 4-5 on the bottom of the page. This has radically reduced the impressions that an advertiser is able to get “above the fold”, driving up the average cost to appear to the user without scrolling. It also impacts organic results as well, driving them further down the page so only one or two now appear above the fold.
- A few more predictions and observations of the search landscape in 2016, as reported in surveys and observed by search specialists:
- Lead generation remains the most desired outcome of paid search.
- Healthcare and Pharma lead in paid search usage despite being in a highly regulated market.
- Link building is still considered effective while remaining the most difficult to successfully perform. Google continued to refine its use of link analysis in 2015 with the Penguin update.
- Web traffic remains the most important goal for SEO, followed closely by leads generated and conversion rates.
- Programmatic Display continued to grow and mature in 2015, with spend rising 29% and eCPM rising 17%.
The full report includes detailed statistics and charts on all marketing channels. You can read the full search marketing section by purchasing the full DMA Statistical Fact Book 2016 by going here. The report is well worth the investment!
Beasley Direct and Online Marketing, Inc. (www.BeasleyDirect.com) is known for bringing the latest marketing strategies to online and direct marketing. Beasley provides services in inbound and outbound marketing including: content creation, email marketing, search engine optimization (SEO), print advertising, social media advertising, pay-per-click (PPC) advertising, website design, media planning/public relations, direct mail marketing, lead generation and nurture campaigns, and database management. Beasley Direct and Online Marketing, Inc. helps clients in both B2B and B2C marketing and is privately held and headquartered in the Silicon Valley suburb of Morgan Hill, California.
About DMA (www.thedma.org): Founded in 1917, DMA is the world’s largest trade association dedicated to advancing and protecting responsible data-driven marketing and the use of data for good. DMA’s membership is a deep pool of data and marketing talent that routinely brings forward disruptive technology and techniques, and DMA’s unique role in representing both the client-side and supply-side enables it to develop the market for these innovations.
DMA’s advocacy program ensures marketers’ ability to responsibly gather and process or refine detailed data. DMA’s market-driven educational offerings equip its members to stay ahead of the curve of the rapid changes in thought leadership and best practices. DMA’s events and communities provide numerous opportunities for today’s marketers – from brands, agencies and solution providers – to connect in-person and online to grow their business and their careers. DMA’s signature event, &THEN, is the largest global event for data-driven marketing and attracts top marketing and advertising leaders and practitioners from around the world.